Civic Action Academy
November 10 @ 12:00 pm - November 11 @ 4:00 pm
The 2023 Civic Action Academy will be held on November 10-11 in Grinnell, IA at Grinnell College. This professional development opportunity will bring students from Iowa and Minnesota together to learn new ways of making a difference and building skills through civic and community engagement. Sessions will offer skill-building in civic action including philanthropy, leadership, dialogue, advocacy, and more. Students will also have a chance to learn what others are doing on other campuses and network with peers.
Dr. Tania D. Mitchell and Dr. Kesho Scott as our keynote speakers for the 2023 Civic Action Academy. They will also provide workshops for faculty and staff on Saturday, November 11 as part of the Civic Engagement Mini-Summit. Their talks will focus on equity work in the field of higher education and community/civic engagement. Read Dr. Scott’s bio here and Dr. Mitchell’s bio here.
Additionally, Shannon Stober of Jump Start Training & Development will lead an intensive student leader workshop on Friday before the Academy starts (tentatively set for 12:00 to 3:30 pm on Friday, Nov. 10). The student leader workshop will be an additional cost to the conference ($20 per ticket). Read Shannon’s bio here.
Event registration is $30/student for IAMNCC member campuses. Those from non-member campuses can register for $80/student.
Friday, November 10
- 12 – 3:30 pm – Student Leadership Retreat Pre-Conference (open to any students interested) with Shannon Stober (additional cost of $20 per ticket)
- 4 – 6 pm – opening session & keynote with Dr. Kesho Scott
Saturday, November 11
- 9 am – 4 pm – conference sessions & closing plenary with Dr. Tania Mitchell + student panel
Meals included with the event are:
- Friday Lunch (student leadership retreat participants only)
- Friday Dinner (all attendees for opening & keynote)
- Saturday Lite Breakfast (all attendees for student & staff/faculty event)
- Saturday Lunch (all attendees for student & staff/faculty event)
- Saturday Afternoon Snack (all attendees for student & staff/faculty event)
Questions can be directed to Carly at email@example.com.